Monday, April 24, 2017

Thoughts on Polarization

Is polarization a bad thing? Are the cable news shows contributing to our current political polarization? What do I think? These questions are harder to answer than I expected. Our country has clearly felt more divided now than ever before in my lifetime. I don’t think polarization is always a bad thing but other times it can be. I don’t know what the correct answer is or even if there is one. From what I’ve read and seen lately I can say that the current political polarization feels negative.
I don’t think I would say that the news shows are persuading viewers so much as comforting them. I think viewers like to know that people share similar views as they do and that the cable shows are a visual representation of those political viewpoints. They are also a representation of the polarization but if you took away the cable shows the polarization would still exist.

I do think that the programs can help keep citizens interested in current events. It gives people topics of discussion and can also contribute to challenging views. You might not end up changing your mind on issues but can at least consider the other side's viewpoint. Maybe the cable shows do contribute to political polarization. I’m still stuck at being unsure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

End of class thoughts

I found it frustrating that not everyone seemed interested in sharing their thoughts. I thought we had an inviting environment that would ...